WHAT GUIDES US
WHAT GUIDES US
Quality products are crafted, not just created.
They require attention to detail, stability, partnership, communication, careful focus on every piece and a great understanding of how it will all add up to a final product.
This is how we believe custom apps should be built.
Jay Lyerly and I founded Oak City Labs in 2014 to be a different kind of software development company – one that’s more like a craftsman shop, rather than an impersonal tech firm of fast products, overseas teams, and other shortcuts.
Having seen software development from the angles of developer, project manager, and even director of engineering, Jay and I understand what will endure (and what won’t). From what we’ve learned, it all comes down to a thoughtful, artisan-style approach.
If you want to make an app that matters – that actually lasts – you will need to build that intention into it with every decision. You need the right local team that will partner with you, prioritize stability and attention to detail, and be transparent with you on what your project needs to succeed. This is exactly what we do at Oak City.
We see building an app just like solving a puzzle. You need to collaborate, consider every piece, and understand how they all fit together to become the big picture.
So rather than be flashy or slick when it comes to your app – we’d like to be in the business of puzzle solving with you. We’d love to show you how we can be the missing piece.
A Brief History
Oak City Labs is a custom software development company founded by Carol Vercellino and Jay Lyerly (above) in the “oak city” of Raleigh, NC. Today, we’re based in nearby Apex, NC – helping entrepreneurs and businesses like yours turn their app ideas into reality.
Meet Our Team
CEO & Co-Founder
- Experience Highlights: Director of Engineering at StepLeader Digital, 15+ Year Career in Technology with exposure to all sides of development
- Education: MBA, Technology Entrepreneurship and Commercialization: NC State; BS, Business Administration: University of South Carolina – Upstate
- Fun Fact: I’m an avid runner and love spending time with my husband and daughters – preferably outside.
CTO & Co-Founder
- Experience Highlights: Lead iOS Developer at StepLeader Digital, 19+ Year Career as Software Engineer and Developer in NC
- Education: MS, Physics: NC State, BS, Physics: NC State
- Fun Fact: With my wife, I helped found – a non-profit organization providing resources for house rabbits and their people in the Raleigh-Durham area and across North Carolina.
- Experience Highlights: Web Project Manager with hesketh.com, Senior Project Manager with VisionPoint Marketing
- Education: BS, in Communications and Advertising: Appalachian State University
- Fun Fact: My favorite food is the dill pickle. I’m also a dog momma to Bugle to rescue beagle.
- Experience Highlights: Honed programming skills via founding my own company – Panoplay – a business designed to help talented independent musicians make a name for themselves.
- Education: BS, Computer Science with a Concentration in Video Game Design: NC State
- Fun Fact: I created and developed the Tropicraft mod for Minecraft with over 20,000,000 user downloads.
- Experience Highlights: Developer for the Android Team at WedPics, Research and Development Intern at Bennett Aerospace
- Education: BS, Biomedical Engineering with a Concentration in Bioinstrumentation: NC State
- Fun Fact: When I’m not coding, I enjoy playing guitar and competitive gaming.
- Experience Highlights: iOS developer at Allscripts, B2B sales and Blackhawk pilot in the Army
- Education: BS, Computer Science: Middle Tennessee State University
- Fun Fact: Avid adventure motorcyclist, photographer, reader, cook and still bang on the keys (piano) every now and then.